Accidentally In Love



Hey guys! We are going to switch gears a little bit with this post. Instead of me complaining about guys in these previous posts that I have written, like Ending the Tern Undateable and An Open Letter to Guys. I am going to write more about my own little happily ever after, which sounds soooo cheesy. But I have finally found the guy who is more like this post I wrote, The Forgotten Species: Good Guys but like 100x better then that post! I scored the best guy.

Let's just go to the beginning:

It all started out on my little I-phone 6 and a little app called Mutual. I know, I know definitely a millennial with my dating app. *But hey it worked for me, but that's not the point, let's get back to the story* One day in January, I was just randomly looking through the app and checking out some cute guys. And swiping if I liked them or not swiping if I didn't like them. Then I came across Mr. Dorian's profile, and big surprise there was next to nothing on there. No witty profile message, no interests, basically nothing. But a few pictures of a pretty cute boy. 1st he had a picture with a graduation cap and gown on. 2nd he had a picture with his grandpa. 3rd I'm pretty sure he had a picture with his sister on there too. So initially my thoughts go to, "Well at least he's done with college, so that's a good sign." *and that was a super good picture of him* "He's close to his family, because of the picture with this grandpa." And I totally thought the picture with his sister was like his ex girlfriend or something. I think all girls think that when they see pictures of guys with their sister on those dating sites, so just a tip guys, don't put those on there. As you can see, I totally thought he was cute, but it really weirded me out that he had nothing on his profile. Like mine was at least funny and said something along the lines of, "Megan's my name, being cute is my game." And I think I put that I was always down for Taco Tuesday, because yes I am that girl. In the back of my mind I was like there is no way I am going to swipe right so that we match, because 1. He probably isn't who he says he is and 2. He is probably way old.

Fast forward a week later. My phone dings saying "You have a match." I opened the match and it's Dorian, the person I didn't think I even swiped on. But I talked to him anyway, because I am just that kind of person. So, I was like, let's just see where this goes. As you all know, when you first talk to someone jobs always come up. I explained to him that I was fairly new at my job and explained what I did. Let me remind you, he didn't have my number, so he was just talking to me on this app. And I was talking to a couple other guys at the time, because I was a single girl that just wanted to go on dates and have fun. I don't know if I necessarily was ready to be in a serious relationship at the time. I just wanted to have fun and to go on fun dates. So we are talking about jobs, and he says he will email me a video of what he does. What does Megan think? "Ugh, he's old and probably doesn't even have a phone." Which is a super dumb assumption because at the time the only way to have the mutual app was to have an I-phone. So I decided to make the first move and to actually give the guy my phone number. Looking back on it now, I sound like a freaking idiot!

So, I gave this complete stranger my phone number and you know what happened after that? He text me every single day and we talked on every single break. We talked when we got home from work. That went on for about a month, then he decided that we had to go on a date. Fair warning, I am going to sound like such a terrible person now. On February 12th we had a date set for that Friday, which was the 17th. Then I had another date planned on the Saturday with a different guy. As we talked more Dorian decided that Friday was too long of a wait so he wanted to go on a date on February 14th, Valentines Day. There was no freaking way I was going to go on a date with a guy I didn't even know on Valentines Day, I thought that was the weirdest thing ever. So we compromised and I decided that I would go on a date with him the next day Monday the 13th.

THE FIRST DATE

The morning of February 13, I was a little giddy nervous wreck. I remember watching the clock at work just waiting for the day to go by faster. As soon as 4:00 hit, I was running out the doors and hitting the road to my house, the 30 minute commute felt more like an hour. I had like an hour to get ready, and holy crap I piled on that makeup. I honestly don't even remember what time he came to pick me up. But one thing I do remember is that when he came my dad was outside. I don't know why, but I thought that was the most embarrassing thing ever. Once all the awkwardness of him meeting my parents was over, he opened my car door and even more awkwardness occurred. I'm not even kidding you. That was the most awkward car ride ever to Casper's Ice cream ever. If you know me I have to point out the awkward and talk about how awkward it is creating even more awkward. Because I am just a super open person! Then we got the icecream shop. I got some pumpkin spice cheescake icecream, which I have no clue why I hate pumpkin spice and he got watermelon sherbert. Then we made our way to a little corner booth right next to the door. We were both so nervous that we were just looking around looking at the people in the shop and the pictures on the walls. Making small talk.

Then I decided that I liked him. ;)

After our icecream was done we were getting a little more comfortable with each other. And decided to just take a drive and talk, because we got most of the awkward out of us. I don't even know what we ended up talking about that night. But we ended up pulling over somewhere just talking. Then he pulled out my favorite flowers, plain white daisies mixed with red roses. And I thought that was the sweetest thing ever. So I asked him if he was ever going to kiss me. *Eek! I did kiss him on our first date*

I know, I know! And that is where we all began. I ended up not going on the date that I had scheduled for Saturday night with another guy, and basically the rest is history.

We totally took a picture on our first date.


MEETING THE FAMILY

After that first date, we continued to talk every single day and it wasn't just texting. We would actually talk on the phone. I think we went on 3 more dates and we were officially official. I don't even know how it happened, it just did haha.

But our second date was a date with my family! My mom told my nephew, who is 5 years old, that we were going to go bowling with Megan and a date. Like she totally black mailed me into it with a 5 year old. So if you don't know me, I have 3 older brothers, and they are the protective type. So I was like no way! But then she brought my 5 year old nephew into it, and I can not tell that kid no. Bowling is his favorite and he loves being able to go with the entire family. So basically I got conned into it by a 5 year old. I was just super nervous for him to meet my whole family. It ended up being great and he only met one brother, because one of my brother's was in China for work and I think the other one was at work. The funny thing is my nephews got some conservation starter cards in a kids meal and my sister in law found them in her purse. So she totally interviewed Dorian, and it was super funny. It's actually one of my favorite memories of our relationship because my nephews really ended up loving Dorian and so did my family.

Meetings Dorian family was an experience for sure! So the first people I got to meet was his Aunt Camille and her family. We ended up going over there for Sunday dinner and it was so much fun! That was just a super good experience, and I ended up loving them.

But when I met the whole family, that is totally a different story. They live about 2 hours away from my house. And, of course, I really had to meet his family, because that is such a big part of him. So I packed up my bags and we headed to his families house for the weekend. The whole way there I was freaking out. Thoughts just kept coming to my head like what if they don't like me and I was super worried because I knew if they didn't like me then there really was no point. When we got there like everyone was there, I literally met his whole family. Grandma and grandpa were there, his aunts and uncles were there, and of course his immediate family. We ended up watching a movie that night about some natural disaster, honestly I don't even remember it or what it was called. But after the movie everyone was getting ready to bed. Suddenly I got super sick to my stomach, like I was going to throw up right then and there. I told Dorian that I really needed to know where the bathroom was, because I was about to throw up. As I got up and he directed me to the bathroom I totally blacked out. Like no freaking joke! The first night I met his family I passed out in their basement and hit my head on the corner of their wall. Craziest experience of meeting the family ever, right?! As soon as I passed out I thought I was in my house in my bed, when Dorian was freaking out. Like pure panic. And I was just super confused. But they ended up bringing me juice and I got to my bed fine and ended up being fine in the morning. But yes, I am that girl that probably had the most embarrassing experience meeting my future in-laws ever! And I will probably never live that down ever.

ENGAGEMENT

A little side story on this one. Dorian is super sweet and he will wait for me on his days off until I get off of work. It's usually accompanied with some flowers and my favorite Dr. Pepper with raspberry and some watermelon sour patch kids. Like biggest sweetheart ever. One day we went to dinner after work. We have this running joke where we are both hungry at 4 so we go and get the "early bird special." There is this cool old restaurant in Logan, called the Blue Bird where we go every once in a while. Every single time we go, it's like an AARP meeting in there. I'm not kidding you, we are absolutely the youngest people in there every single time, because of the time we usually go. So we went to dinner at our "old people" time and we had no idea what to do after that. So naturally, we decided to nonchalantly go ring shopping. I totally had tunnel vision about my ring. Because I have been scouring Pinterest, looking for that perfect ring, and I totally fell in love with an oval cut diamond. The ring shoppe lady probably thought I was  freaking dictator with what kind of ring I wanted, because I even told her no when she offered me different options. But then we found the perfect thing. It had little scallops along the band and literally looks like a princess ring. I quite fancy it! Ooh and it had to be in rose gold. Little did I know at the time if I would have gotten in a different color it wouldn't have had to been a special order and in, my mind ,it took forever to come in because I just wanted to be engaged so bad.

So it probably took a good 2 months for the ring to actually come in, and I heard this story that the ring shoppe that was handcrafting my ring was closed for 2 weeks. I was DYING! We had already been waiting a month for this ring and then we had to wait 2 more weeks. Then Dorian showed me this message on his phone from the lady at the store saying that the ring was taking longer then expected and that it would be a two week wait. I was really mad, because I thought I was being plenty patient.

That day he showed me that voicemail from the jewelers, the cute boy came and got me for lunch at work and we ate it in his car. He was smiling from ear to ear and was being super happy and positive. Like he usually is that way, but he was like super happy. After we ate and I was about to go back into work he told me he had a surprise for me. And I was like well hopefully it's not flowers because I already had some that were super fresh. And guess what?! They were flowers haha. But they were so beautiful, roses mixed with lillies. I gave him a quick kiss and went back into work.

As soon as work was over he picked me up and insisted that we went on a walk. Let me remind you, this was a Monday. He said that the temple grounds were open for some reason and that we should go on a walk. I was like that is super weird because it's Monday, and the temple is closed. But he kept reassuring me it was open. So we get there, and there is only one gate opened. We park on the side of the temple and walk in the gates. The whole time he is telling me how much he likes this temple and how he is so excited to go inside one day. We walk on the side of the temple and there is this gray Hyundai Sonata. Immediately the thought goes through my head thinking that it looks exactly like my mom's car, but I quickly just brushed that off and listened to what Dorian was telling me. Then we came to the front of the temple, with the black benches. And all of the sudden is he down on one knee with the words coming out of his mouth, "Megan I love you, will you marry me?" And there I am hysterically laughing and saying yes. It's the kind of laughing that you do so that you don't cry, and then he says, "Say hi to your mom." I turn around and there is my mom right by the temple video taping me.

Then we ended up going to Texas Road House to celebrate and got some free ice cream because the hostesses for some reason knew we had just gotten engaged.


The Ring

When we FINALLY got engaged!


And friends, that is our love story so far. It's definitely a different one from most people, but it's ours. I have no doubt that God led us both in the right path at the right time. I am so excited to be able to marry my best friend and to start our lives together, even if we are both super awkward. I wouldn't  want to be weird with anyone else.




I was praying for a good guy to come into my life for a really long time. Pleading with Heavenly Father to bless me with someone that would always love and honor me and someone who would make a great father someday. And there is no doubt that I definitely was blessed with that. So if you ever feel like God isn't listening to your prayers, he is paving a path to give you that blessing. You just have to be patient and remember that he does hear you and He does love you.

Comments

Popular Posts